Sunday, November 12, 2017

Passing Our Heritage Along

I came across a book by Patricia Polacco "The Keeping Quilt" which explains how her family kept the traditions of the past alive by making a quilt using many worn items from the past.  The grandmothers would use the quilt to teach her grandchildren about their heritage and past.  I have been wondering, what things do we use to pass on our heritage. 
In my own life I have used stories and pictures.  I have a good collection of pictures which I place in this blog and anyone is able to down load them.  I also research stories, handcart stories, and others.  Most recently I was introduced to a story about my mother's half brother through family search.  I share these stories with family.  However, I don't know of any physical object I might use.  Except for perhaps the painting of Mary Ashton which was painted by Julia Rogers which I hand at my office and at home.  It reminds me where I come from.
https://draft.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=719569071475724262#editor/target=post;postID=6151447034198453088
I have another picture in my room of a handcart pioneer burying others.  This reminds me of Isaac Wardle, who dug many graves during the handcart trek.  Wondering if anyone else has some examples of how they pass on their heritage, their "Show who we are" story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment