Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Isaac Wardle Questions

As I have been writing Isaac's history, I have some questions.  If you have answers and sources please let me know.

Is there documentation of Isaac chopping the trees at the Cove, or is this based on passed down family conversation only.  I have the one-page history Isaac wrote, but it does not mention this.

Did Isaac's father give him an ax to take on the journey with him?  I thought I was told this, but can't find it written any place.

Does anyone know what came of Joseph Wardle, Isaac's next younger brother?  Did he pass away before the family (Parents and James) crossed the plains in 1860.

Same goes for Hannah Wardle.  Does anyone know what came of she and her husband, Frederick Udy?  It is understood they went to Australia but is there any documentation?

7 comments:

  1. I have answers to questions 3 and 4. Joseph did pass away, Hannah immigrated to Pennsylvania. See the post from Patti Call

    http://billywardlegen.blogspot.com/2012/03/this-reflects-work-of-patti-call-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also tried to find any documentation about the trees at Martin's Cove. The only sources I've been able to find for this are 1) the visitor's center at Martin's Cove and 2) a book called "Remember: The Willie & Martin Handcart Companies" compiled by the Riverton Wyoming Stake. I haven't been able to find it in anything written or recorded by Isaac himself. I am wondering if it came from the journal of someone else; maybe one of the rescue party or one of the other pioneers?

    I also haven't heard anything about Isaac's father giving him an axe for his journey. Immigrants (and pioneers) were encouraged to travel with only the essentials--and an axe would be useful to have--but I wonder if the story was manufactured for the purpose of enhancing the story about chopping down trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the church history website is not exhaustive but is is extensive. I read all the entries with regards to the Martin Handcart Company and saw no mention of the ax or the trees. However there is a You Tube video of a docent telling the story of the trees. My cousin Donna Olsen from Riverton Stake was instrumental in adding it to that history as she had heard it from her ancestors, as I had.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for all the effort and time you have invested in making sure we have a correct and complete history of Isaac Wardle. You are amazing.

      Delete
  3. Hannah immigrated to Pennsylvania area as documented in family search.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah and Frederick stayed in PA and MD. Their daughter, Mary Ann, married William Reeves (a Scottish immigrant) and they and their descendants were in West Virginia and Virginia. Their daughter, Jennie, married into the well-known and wealthy Stafford family of Giles County, VA (the present-day Staffordsville, VA)area. Jennie and Clyde Stafford's children stayed in VA/W.VA and expanded into Ohio. Hannah and Frederick are my husband's 3rd great-grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the 2nd great granddaughter of Hannah and Frederick. My grandfather, Alford Reeves, was the son of Mary Ann and William. My mother grew up with Winona, and I remember visiting her in Akron many years ago.

      Delete